We all know that look: the one where your dog is begging for a piece of your dinner or delicious dessert. You know you shouldn’t, but one bite can’t hurt. Or can it? There are some human foods that your dog absolutely should not eat because they could get sick or even die from foods we humans enjoy daily. Regular foods we need like fruits and vegetables can be life threatening to your precious pup.
Being educated on foods dogs should not eat is extremely important so you know exactly what to do in case of an emergency. You also know which human foods are acceptable for your dog. It is also important to teach children about what foods are unsafe for the family pet, and to be careful eating around them.
Below we discuss foods your dog cannot have, and what you need to do if your dog does ingest these foods.
1. Grapes (and raisins) can lead to sudden kidney failure in your dog if ingested due to it being extremely toxic to canines.
2. Tomatoes cannot be eaten if they are green because they have solanine in them which is toxic and will make your dog very sick.
3. Apples can only be eaten by dogs if the core and seeds are removed or your dog can get sick from that and could even choke on the core.
4. Cherries contain small amounts of cyanide, which is harmful to dogs, but in small doses can be fine for humans. If ingested, look for your dog experiencing trouble breathing, dilated pupils and red gums.
5. Avocado is one fruit that contains Persin which is located within the leaves, seeds, and in the avocado itself and can make your dog vomit, especially if they are allergic, but it is not life threatening.
1. Mushrooms should not be ingested because some of them can lead to death, plus your dog can be allergic to them because they are a fungal food.
2. Onions, as well as garlic, are terrible for dogs because they contain Allium which is a plant that is poisonous to both dogs and cats. Once ingested, your dog may become ill, having nausea, vomiting, stomach pains and will use the bathroom a lot, and their red blood cells can rupture!
3. Asparagus is not recommended for dogs. There are no nutrients for your dog once it is cooked down to softness and, if eaten raw, it can be tough to chew for your pup, so they may not even enjoy eating it.
1. Alcohol is not recommended for your dog as they can get drunk like humans and also experience vomiting, bad coordination, had time breathing, and their nervous system can be depressed. Alcohol can also cause your dog to go into a coma or even die.
2. Caffeine can poison your dog if given too much, and it will cause their heart to race, their breathing to quicken, tremors and extra energy. These stimulants are not good for your dog and can kill them, so do not give them soda pop, tea, coffee, energy drinks or anything with caffeine in the ingredients.
3. Milk and all dairy can not only cause an upset stomach for your dog, but it will cause diarrhea. Some dogs are allergic to milk, which is called Lactose Intolerance, which can cause vomiting.
1. Macadamia nuts can be lethal to your pup, even just a small amount can kill them. Some symptoms include tremors, vomiting, fever, fast heart beat and weakness. Some dogs can experience paralysis and could die from these.
2. Candy and Gum are not good for the dog as the dog can choke on them, but they also have xylitol in it and it makes your dog’s body make more insulin than the body needs and the blood sugar level can drop, which is dangerous. They can also get liver failure so watch out for lack of coordination, vomiting and lack of energy.
3. Chocolate is one that is known to be dangerous for pups as it contains Theobromine and will make your dog thirsty, vomit, and get diarrhea at the best. At worst, your dog’s heart rhythm can become abnormal and they can have seizures, tremors, and could die.
4. Meat trimmings like the bone and fat can injure your dog. The fat can cause pancreatitis and the bone can cause your dog to choke and if swallowed, can tear up your dog’s stomach.
5. Raw meat can make your dog violently ill and get food poisoning. Foods like uncooked fish can have parasites that can affect your dog’s lymph nodes and cause fever and vomiting. Always cook meat thoroughly.
WHAT TO DO
If your dog has ingested any of these foods and is becoming ill, get them away from the food or poison as soon as possible. Take them to the nearest veterinary hospital for treatment. Call ahead if you can so they can get ready for your dog. It is recommended to scoop up some of the vomit if possible for testing at the vet’s office. If you completely unsure of what to do, you can call a pet poison hotline for help.
Keep all foods, as well as medications and household products locked up or put up where the dog cannot reach. When preparing foods that are dangerous for your dog, keep him in another room or outside so they cannot be tempted to eat any food that drops to the floor. If you are unsure if you can give your dog a certain food, research it or do not give it to them in the case of sickness or allergy.
While Fido likes to eat most food and cannot look out for their own health, as an owner, it is your responsibility to keep your pet safe. They may drool at your delicious fruit salad and beg for your chocolate cake for dessert, remember you are keeping them alive by refraining from giving into them and spoiling their appetite!
Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Samuel_Funt/2319233